Friday, January 8, 2010

Baby Steps Toward Awesome-ness

Over a month it has been since I last posted. I'm not entirely sure why, except that I've had a dreadful case of writers-block. With that in mind...I think a gratitude list in is order.


1. I can translate language into powerful teaching tools. My daughter recently wrote something I appreciated. We were discussing the sometimes daunting and often overwhelming requirements for reaching my professional goals. Later she presented me with a list of things we had talked about entitled: "Shawn's awesome list of baby steps toward awesome-ness." It made me laugh, but, more than that, it allowed her sensitivity and insight to shine.

I recently heard a women say that no matter where we are in life, we should thank God for life exactly as it is in that moment. Not: "thanks, but, I want it better," or "my life is miserable and pathetic, God, but thanks." Rather, a shifting should occur allowing us to view our "problems" as nothing more than our teachers, and "burdens" as nothing more than strength building experiences.

That was echoed by a lecturer at Burning Man, 2009. "The universe is conspiring on your behalf," she said. I'm thankful that I have the ability to let words like those ruminate in my brain enough that when I really need them, they're available.

2. And, number two in today's list is this: I am grateful for my life exactly as it is in this moment. (Wait...did I say that?) Here's why:
a. It's Friday, late afternoon, and I'm becoming stir-crazy. I admit it, I want to become intoxicated, ridiculously intoxicated because of some recent events (none of which will I mention because they're NOT part of the present moment.) But, the fact that I'm feeling stir-crazy tells me I'm no longer automatically turning to intoxicants to cope with painful issues. That's pretty damn cool.
b. While making my way through the writing of this post, tears are flowing down my cheeks. I've always encouraged to children to "suck the marrow from the bone of life." Have fun. Enjoy all there is to enjoy. Be playful. Today, however, one of them "choked." I feel sad. Thanks, God, for this sadness. May I be the ready student and it the teacher. I'm realizing I have a lot still to learn.
c. The fact that one of my babes got himself into trouble today reminds me that he is, in fact, taking his own baby steps toward awesome-ness. He's finding his place on his journey throughout his life. Once again, that's pretty damn cool.

No comments:

SMOKE-FREE October 1, 2017 A TRIBUTE TO THE WOMAN WHO SOLD ME SMOKES WHEN I WAS FOURTEEN

It has been  one month today since I smoked tobacco. I've struggled with that addiction off and on (mostly on) since I was14 yours ...